Our history in Hong Kong
ExxonMobil’s history in this region dates back to the 19th century, when Standard Oil, the predecessor of ExxonMobil, began marketing kerosene for lighting the Mei Foo lamps in China. Standard Oil products were available in Hong Kong in the 1890s, and its first office in Hong Kong opened in 1895.
Our first service station in Hong Kong opened in 1926 in Kowloon. We now sell our Synergy Fuels through a network of about 43 Esso branded service stations to motorists in Hong Kong. We were also the first to set up convenience stores at service stations.
ExxonMobil was the first oil company to supply piped-in liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) to high-rise apartments in Hong Kong in the 1960s. The first stage of the Mei Foo Sun Chuen housing estate was completed in 1968, with piped-in gas system installed. IP&E GBA Limited (IP&E GBA), the brand licensee of Esso and Mobil liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) in Hong Kong and Macau, is now providing LPG products and services to customers in the two regions.
ExxonMobil has a long-term commitment to Hong Kong. Through our products, technologies and investments, we are poised to help meet Hong Kong’s growing energy needs.
Milestones: Growing in Hong Kong
- 1880: An American agent, the China & Japan Trading Co., introduces Standard Oil products by ship into Shanghai
- 1906: The Mei Foo kerosene lamp is introduced
- 1892: Standard Oil Co. of New York, Socony, begins official operations in Shanghai, using temporary offices at No. 7, The Bund (Shanghai Tang)
- 1895: Vacuum Oil Co. opens an office on Duddell Street, Hong Kong
- 1926: Socony’s first service station begins operation in Kowloon, Hong Kong
- 1928: The first Socony gas station opens in Central, Hong Kong, using Mobil tradename
- 1962: Liquefied petroleum gas, under the name Mobilflame is introduced in Hong Kong for domestic use
- 1964: Mobil Oil Hong Kong Ltd. is established
Esso Standard Oil (Hong Kong) Ltd. is established
Exxon Energy Limited becomes the majority shareholder of a power generation joint venture in Hong Kong called Castle Peak Power Company Limited (CAPCO)
- 1967: Esso’s Tsing Yi Terminal is completed
Mobil Tsing Yi terminal is completed and replaces Lai Chi Kok terminal
- 1968: The first stage of Mei Foo Sun Chuen housing estate by Mobil development company Mei Foo Investments Ltd. is completed, with a piped-in gas system installed : Esso Hong Kong’s first piped-in-gas system at the Lok Man Sun Chuen housing estate is commissioned
- 1974: Construction of Tsing Yi Bridge, led by Mobil, is completed
- 1977: Esso consolidates its storage and distribution operations at a new terminal on Tsing Yi Island, still the largest oil terminal in Hong Kong
- 1982: Esso opens its first Esso petrol station in Shenzhen, making Chinese mainland’s first foreign joint venture in the petroleum retailing business
Esso is the first to set up convenience stores (Tiger Marts) at service stations in Hong Kong
- 1991: Mobil launches a Retail Outlet Automation program, streamlining payment and financial operations at all service stations
Mobil introduces unleaded gasoline in Hong Kong
- 1993: The Tsing Yi West Site is inaugurated
- 1995: Esso Hong Kong and BOC Credit Card (International) Limited jointly launch Hong Kong’s first smart credit card
- 2000: Esso and Mobil merge, with Mobil service stations converted to Esso by 2003
- 2014: ExxonMobil Energy Ltd. divests its interest in CAPCO
- 2015: ExxonMobil Hong Kong Ltd. receives “10 Year Plus Caring Company” Award from the Hong Kong Council of Social Service in recognition of its enduring efforts and commitment to corporate citizenship
- 2016: ExxonMobil Hong Kong Ltd. receives the 2016 Ergonomics Best Practice Award from the Hong Kong Ergonomics Society
- 2018: Tsing Yi terminal achieves 20 years of zero lost time incident
- 2020: ExxonMobil Hong Kong Ltd. receives “15 Year Plus Caring Company” Award from the Hong Kong Council of Social Service in recognition of its enduring efforts and commitment to corporate citizenship
- 2021: ExxonMobil has completed the sale of the entire issued share capital in Esso LPGas (Hong Kong) Limited to Isla Petroleum & Energy Company Ltd on July 1.
Business divisionsExxonMobil uses technology and innovation to help meet the world’s growing energy needs. We hold an industry-leading inventory of resources and are one of the world’s largest integrated refiners, marketers of petroleum products and chemical manufacturers. Access to energy underpins human comfort, mobility, economic prosperity and social progress. It touches nearly every aspect of modern life. We work very hard to meet Hong Kong and Macau’s growing energy needs, and have done so since we began operating here more than 120 years ago.
Our business Article
Who we areExxonMobil, one of the largest publicly traded international energy and petrochemical companies, creates solutions that improve quality of life and meet society’s evolving needs. The corporation’s primary businesses - Upstream, Product Solutions and Low Carbon Solutions - provide products that enable modern life, including energy, chemicals, lubricants, and lower-emissions technologies.